Thursday, July 19, 2007

for whom the bell tolls

I've always had a thing for Ernest Hemingway. I haven't actually read his stuff, but his titles strike me as beautiful, in such a way that you know there are lots of lovely thoughts just spilling off the pages - I mean, The Sun Also Rises? A Farewell to Arms? For Whom the Bell Tolls? I'll admit that if one of the four is not like the others, it's The Old Man and the Sea, but whatevs, beauty in simplicity!

I'm currently at school, surrounded by two hundred of my closest friends in the computer lab, all of us in some form of examination hell, and I can hear church bells. I am frantically looking up flights to elsewhere that don't completely clear out my bank account, listening to the monotone of two kids reciting numerical programming codes to one another, and I can hear church bells. I can't stop poring over everything that didn't happen in all these days, wondering if that's why I feel like quietly falling back into hibernation, and then suddenly, those church bells.

I could go for some Mos Burger right about now.

Interesting Fact: the title "The Sun Also Rises" was chosen by Hemingway's publisher. Hemingway wanted the book to be called "¡Fiesta!"

No comments: