Saturday, June 23, 2007

karaoke confessional



before we get into the events of today, I want to shoutout my girl Shiina Ringo, formerly of Yonohonmachi (train stop after mine!). I really should have put her up here sooner, since I heard her way back in February when we were checking out the huge Starbucks/CD store in Shibuya. yep, it was fascination at first listen. and she was the first Jpop-er I sung at karaoke...!

but that's not the confession... so okay, back to today. I wasn't entirely sure if I should post about it or not, but it was so weird that I think it's more helpful to think of it more as disturbingly hilarious instead of disturbingly disturbing.

this afternoon, I went for some karaoke with a friend of mine, who at present shall remain anonymous. going after school is really the best time to do it, because it's about a third of the price and all of the fun! anyway, he was chilling, singing some crazy song with high-pitched precision while I was jumping up and down like a five year old, showing him a little Jay-Z and then failing at M-flo (Japanese rappers, impossible for karaoke). I absently wondered if I was jumping around too much, and as if he had read my mind, that's when his gaze dropped decidedly below my face:

おっぱい大きいね? your chest is pretty big, isn't it?
....
(WHAAAT??!! Where did THAT come from?!)

何いってんなっ?!ちょっと失礼だろう?(what are you saying? umm... that's a little rude
, don't you think?!)

completely unfazed, eyes still locked on target: 何センチ?(how many centimeters?)

(not only was I at a loss for words at this point, but I was starting to worry at the situation... in the kind of way that makes you note exactly how far your foot is from the offender's nether regions. you gotta understand, this kid and I are cool and pretty casual with each other, but there was no precedent for this kind of question-asking! I can also confidently say that there are no feelings of that type at all on either side! AT ALL)

me, laughing in utter disbelief: 分かんねーよ!I don't know! (why won't he change the subject?!)

now, coming closer almost as if to touch them: how much do they weigh?

me, panicking, slapping away his hand. 全然だめだよ、そんな話!This kind of talk is really wrong! then still looking innocently unfazed, the kid just starts talking about something else. it took me a while to register just what it was in my relief, but somehow, he ended up mentioning that he had had a girlfriend for a year and change and that they had broken up just a few months ago! whoa... color me shocked. I definitely thought that he was a total newb to the love scene. but get this... when I asked him why they split up, he said I was being rude. ドンダケー?!

Man. Talk about miscommunication. Long story shorter, I got him to see that talking about my chest was a serious no-no and that someone he didn't know as well would surely punch his lights out. He apologized for making me uncomfortable, and I apologized for bringing up his (still? really?) painful memories of his ex.

we'll still be cool, I think. his apology was sincere, and the behavior out of character, so for now we'll keep this incident a minor footnote in the great Tokyo scheme of things. or maybe a medium-sized question mark.

No comments: